Sunday, March 23, 2008

Great Gable












Great Gable is a beautiful mountain situated at Wasdale Head in Cumbria opposite the Scafell Masiffs and adacent to Black Sail Pass which nestles between the mighty Pillar and haystacks. I chose to tackle it from Seathwaite rather than from Wasdale Head as I had just recently climbed Scafell Pike from Wasdale Head. The climb started with a scramble up Sour Milk Gill for about 1000 ft followed by a long drawn out climb between Base Brown and Brandreth to ascend Green Gable. Green Gable is to the rear of Great Gable and it gives on a clear day wonderful views of Gable Crag on the back of Great Gable along with a fantastic view down the Black Sail Pass and the River Liza. From Green Gable we dropped slightly to the south and then began the climb up Great Gable. The weather remained unpredictable with cloud and rain followed by sunny spells but I was able to see opposite Sprinkling Tarn and further on the summit of Scafell Pike. Finally reaching the top I was met by a strong wind which denied me being able to boil up some water for a cup of tea. The top of Great Gable indicates that it is a war memorial, and it is in fact the largest memorial in Europe with a large number of climbers grouping on its summit each rememberance Sunday. Down below to the south is Wastwater and Wasdale head with the Wasdale Head Inn, home of the biggest liar competition. http://www.wasdaleheadinn.co.uk/.
Whilst on the top I slipped and twisted my ankle which made it difficult coming down especially in the dark but hopefully I will find the time to visit Great Gable again to check out its world famous needles on the south traverse. Pictures include the sun going down over Wast water, a view down Black Sail Pass , myself on Great Gable & myself on Green Gable with Great Gable crag behind me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even my dog wouldn't go out in that! He sheltered behind me on our wild and windy walks today. You are both very brave (Tom and Tom's mate :-) )

Lots of walkers passed through here over Easter weekend and many of them were hanging onto the railings for dear life! Some were blown just a little too close to the cliff edge!!!

Take care on your travels you two.

Tommy said...

Hi Sandra, Thank You, Where are you writing from?

Anonymous said...

We met remember ... where the car had gone over the cliff. Border of North Yorkshire and Cleveland.

Tommy said...

Wow amazing, Hello. Hows young wuff ? That was a windy day wasn't it but non the less what a beautiful place. I will be putting some pics of Staithes on hopefully at the weekend will include the car. :-)

Anonymous said...

Young wuff is sometimes a bit of a wuss! Sheltering behind me in the wind and hailstones! We've had much worse weather since you visited this neck of the woods. That was a very calm mild day when you guys came to Staithes :-)

Thought you would have realised it was me when I mentioned looking forward to the Cowbar pics (ie. the car off the cliff) when I first posted on your blog... Maybe you didn't realise you were walking on the old Cowbar Road. You passed through Cowbar when you came out of Staithes - the 2 rows of houses up near Cowbar Nab.

Anyway, how are the lion cubs? Bet they're glad they don't have to do these wild walks with you!

Tommy said...

Hi Sandy
I never knew that I was in Cowbar but I will remember it next time I visit staithes, Glad young Wuff is well, shame I didn't get your pic with the car.I'm heading up north to the lakes in June stuck down south until then, cubs are well , hoping to take them up Catbells near Keswick later this year. Take are on those cliffs mate.

Anonymous said...

Make sure you get some good foot gear for the cubs when they go hiking with you! I hope they are following your travels on this Blogspot ... hello lion cubs! Your dad is quite a character, eh?!?!!